Finding alternative uses for vegetables keeps your taste buds guessing, and boosts your nutrition! Cauliflower contains sulforaphane, which acts as a antioxidant and helps detox your system utilizing enzymes. Cruciferous vegetables are believed to lower risk of cancer due to these beneficial sulforaphanes.
Ricing or mashing cauliflower allows you to mold the Flavors you desire while still tasting like a traditional comfort food. Tweet this recipe by adding your own preferences for spice level and ingredients. Enjoy with pork roast, roast chicken, or baked halibut.
-1 large head of cauliflower. Rinse, pat dry, and chop into florets, discarding the thick core.
-I rinsed can BPA free garbanzo beans (I prefer to use organically)
-1 cup low-sodium chicken stock. You can use vegetable stock if you prefer.
-olive oil cooking spray (or avocado oil cooking spray)
-8 oz brown button mushrooms, sliced
-1 yellow onion, chopped
-3 garlic cloves, rinsed
-1/4 sea salt or Kosher salt
-1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
-2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
-11/2 ounce Pecorino Romano cheese (divided)
-1/2 cup chopped parsley (flat or curly- be sure to wash)
- 3 tsp olive oil (I prefer a flavored oil such as Mediterranean or basil olive oil)
*For more spice, add red pepper flakes in addition to the pepper, or sub a Chipoltle Olive oil instead of plain or flavored oil. You can also add fresh thyme and reduce the parsley by that same amount
How To Cook:
1. Divide cauliflower into 2-3 sections. Add one at a time of chopped cauliflower into food processor. Pulse until the pieces are the size of rice. Transfer to a large bowl and continue process till it's all 'riced'.
2. In a blender add rinsed beans and chicken stock. Process until smooth.
3. Add chosen cooking spray to a pan and heat on medium heat. Add cleaned mushrooms and onions. Cook for 5-7 minutes stirring often, till they are lightly browned. Add chopped garlic, salt & pepper and cook 1 minute. Add the lemon juice, increase the het to medium-high and cook, stirring often, until liquid has evaporated.
4. Pour blended bean broth purée into pan. Gently fold till it's well mixed, cover and cook over medium for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
5. Uncover and reduce heat to low. Stir in 1/2 ounce cheese. Turn of heat and stir in parsley. Divide portions amount plates. Drizzle with oil and remaining cheese.
Serving-1 1/2 cups cauliflower
Calories-240, Total Fat-15g, Sodium- 180mg
Image via www.alagraham.com