5 ways to boost your health in five minutes or less
When you’re flying at rapid speed throughout your day and could use a small win, Kriegler suggests trying a few of these five-minute health commitments:
Whip up a sustainable energy boost. Think of food as fuel for your body. When you’re busy and on the run, don’t forget to pack healthy lunches and snacks to keep you nourished throughout the day.
* A protein and powdered greens shake is the perfect quick snack or lunch.
* Cut up veggies at the beginning of the week to pack for lunch.
* Make a 3-ingredient salad. All you need is lettuce, a protein, and another veggie.
* Throw together stew or chili ingredients for a week of healthy dinners and lunches.
Do you have five minutes? Fit in a workout. Kriegler says a workout doesn’t have to (and shouldn’t!) disrupt your entire day. If you find yourself with five minutes to spare, get up and move.
* Work out your kinks with five minutes of stretching or foam rolling.
* See how many pushups you can do in five minutes.
* When you’re at work, run up and down the side stairs of your office.
* Fit in two sprints up and down your street before dinner.
* Do three to six yoga poses to target a particular body part or objective. Find a yoga video that focuses on relaxation or strength.
*Head out to your backyard for five minutes of jumping rope, playing tag with the kids or trying a YouTube exercise video that looks interesting.
Plan for the days and weeks ahead. Achieving a goal always involves planning. Find five minutes in your day to make sure you have a healthy plan in place.
* Plan a healthy menu for dinner tonight or start your healthy shopping list for the week.
* Pack your gym bag for tomorrow’s workout.
Take time for yourself. “When you’re constantly on the go, remembering to take time for yourself can be a challenge,” says Kriegler. “Whether you have to get up five minutes early or stay up five minutes late, fit in some time to connect with yourself.”
* Try a five minute meditation to relax your body.
* Walk outside for a few minutes of sun and fresh air.
* Pour yourself a big glass of water to take your supplements with in the morning.
*Call someone in your support network for encouragement. This could be a weight loss coach, running or workout buddy, friend or spouse.
Although these may seem like minor tips, these small wins can help you on your journey toward a healthier way of life.